Customer data is critical to your sales and marketing efforts. Accurate customer information helps you solve client problems and make sales. If your data is not accurate, your business can suffer tremendously. Use these tips to collect data quickly and efficiently.
Knowing Your Customer
Customers buy products and services to solve a problem. As a marketer, you need to understand those client problems. The best way to do that is to define your ideal customer.
Your ideal customer is defined as the characteristics your best clients have in common. Assume you sell high-end wooden furniture, for example. Your ideal customer is a wealthy, older couple that is moving into a newly built home. The couple has purchased artwork and customized furniture in the past.
Collecting Accurate Data
Many companies are using technology to make the data collection process easier for their customers. Consider these tools to get the information you need from customers:
- Electronic visitor sign in book: If you have customers visit your business, use a visitor sign in book. Your client can sign in electronically, which eliminates the need for paper. The data is more secure on an electronic system, which protects customer privacy.
- Online survey: You can embed an online survey on your website and in advertisements. A survey lets you to collect information on customer preferences. Ask 5 or 6 open-ended questions. People are more likely to answer a short survey. The open-ended questions allow customers to be specific with their answers. This provides better information than a multiple-choice question survey.
- In-store technology: You can also collect information and provide your customers choices when they are in your store. Software can send a coupon to clients for items you have displayed on your shelves. You can track how many customers use the coupons you provide. That information will help you understand your customer preferences.
Use these tools to collect information and serve your clients.
Using Data to Make Sales
Once you collect your customer data, you can create a marketing plan to generate sales. Providing interesting content is a great way to build a relationship with prospects and convert them into clients. Here are some ideas for content marketing:
- Website design: Select a website format that allows you to post blogs and articles.
- Find out what’s interesting: Analyze popular blog sites in your industry. Determine the topics that are generating the most reader interest. If you’re in the entertainment business, for example, you may find that readers want to know about new programs starting in the fall. Write blogs and articles on those same topics.
- Opt-in buttons: Add an opt-in button or pop-up window to your website. You can include the opt-in after every blog post, and also on your home page. Viewers can provide an email address and receive additional content by email. The readers that opt-in to your extra content may be your best prospects for new business.
If you use content marketing, you will build awareness in the minds of your customers and prospects. When they need to buy a product you sell, they are more likely to remember your firm and buy from you.
Streamline your process for collecting customer data. Use that data to solve client problems and increase your sales.
Did you enjoy this post?
Never miss a blog post. Subscribe below to get more posts like this sent straight to your inbox as soon as they're published.